The community of Holy Family was originally established in 1876 with the building, now a Nebraska Historical Site, being built in 1883. The building is one of only a few churches built with a school on the first floor and the sanctuary on the second floor. Holy Family’s school was closed in the 1960’s when the neighborhood became primarily commercial and industrial. It was the oldest church in Omaha, Nebraska that was still used for worship until earlier this year.
End of an Era,
Since the early 1970’s, Holy Family has been known especially for its commitment to serve the poor. In the early years, it was well known on the streets that one could get a sandwich at Holy Family. Later, the parish hired a Door Minister to welcome the poor, try to meet their needs, and refer them as needed to helping other agencies.
“We pledge, as our primary purpose to form a community which is totally open to the person of Jesus Christ, whom we acknowledge as our Lord and God, as we find him in ourselves, in one another, and in all people. Further we accept the responsibility flowing from His gospel to work for the transformation of our society. Toward this end, we especially commit ourselves to the service of the poor.”
In that regard, then, Holy Family, operates a Door Ministry, a Food Redistribution Program, a Lunch Program, and participates in the publication of the Nebraska Criminal Justice Review and New Wine.
Holy Family Ministries
Sack Lunch Program
The Social Hall